Installation Help for Trial software
There are only a few simple steps to be on your way.
If you experience any odd reactions from Windows, you can get the setup files as a zip file here.
- Run the installation software by clicking here.
- After installation, you might need to reboot your Computer. (If you need to reboot, it will tell you that.)
- Start the program from the Start button (bottom left of your screen). Start -> Programs -> Wall Street Genius.
- It will automatically use a temporary trial account. Dont enter a username. It's done for you.
We strongly recommend having 2 monitors (or one BIG monitor) for Day Trading.
There have been many screen/space optimizations to show everything you need on one screen.
However, it's much easier to do this work with more screen space.
If necessary, after you start making a profit, please invest in better computer equipment (more monitors).
- Windows XP or later (or Mac/Unix with Windows emulator: BootCamp or VM Ware, etc).
- 60 Meg of disk space.
- 200 Meg of RAM for (Day Trader Live or Replay) programs.
- Speakers are helpful for the Day Trading.
We use this software for our own trading.
In-house we each have two computers: one for placing trades and another for seeing the chart action.
If you also have a microphone, you can record your own sounds / voice for the stock names.
Newer computers are recommended (with the Intel i7 processors). The better processor is worthwhile when working with Live data feed.
The system works with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
Virus scanners often block ports or programs. You need to allow the following programs to access the internet and generally be accepted:
On Windows XP these files will be installed in this folder: C:\Program Files\WSGenius
On Windows 7 and higher, the files will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\WSGenius
- WSGenius.exe = starting program
- wsgDay.exe = Live Day Trading
- wsgDatabc.exe = Data acquistion for live day trading
- wsgDatabag.exe = Holds fresh data
- wsgTrain.exe = Replay practise program
- wsgRecorder.exe = Plays alerts and tells you about stocks that are moving well
- wsgUpdate.exe = Gets updates of software
In my experience NORTON has been a problem for many users. We have used Dexter "Eset" NO32 program for many years and rarely had a problem. They've been very helpful on that rare occassion.
NORTON, AVAST, KASPERSKY users have had varying degrees of on-going issues. "Suddenly the system is not working" has always been a cause by those other anti-virus programs.
If you have Norton, you will need to add rules to allow the software in the program files FOLDER as well as the specific files (above).
I've seen that Norton was turned off but still deleted the programs from being installed or running.
Get their online support people to set those rules up for you. It's tricky stuff and you shouldn't have to deal with that. They include that with their service.
Right click on Avast ball in tray.
-> Avast shield control
-> disable for 10 minutes.
Do the update for WSG and then immediately re-activate your Avast by right clicking the Avast ball again: Avast shield control -> Enable all shields.
If you are a guest at a hotel, they might need to open specific web addresses.
Many hotels lock down their internet to just approved sites.
Ask their IT staff to allow access to:
Interactive Brokers does a good job, but isn't 100.000% perfect. They are the best, and that's all we can hope for.
If you are outside the USA, you must set your timezone to one of the five that IB supports for options trading.
You can be in any country, and have an account with them. However, the data feed only works properly with any-USA timezone, London, Japan.
If the timezone isn't one of these, then the stock data acts strangely (get some data for 30 minutes).